[SGE-discuss] virtual_free consumable resource

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Jan 5 18:09:36 GMT 2011

Julie Ashworth <julie.ashworth at berkeley.edu> writes:

> Ok, I dattr'd these values.

Sorry, I think I was actually wrong about not defining the complex,
replying in a hurry.

The problem may be that in

> #name               shortcut   type        relop requestable consumable default  urgency
> virtual_free        vf         MEMORY      <=    YES         YES        0        0

the default value isn't a memory value like `1G'.  You normally want to
put in sensible defaults, where I'd use 1/N times the total VM you want
to allow and N is the number of slots on the lowest-memory nodes.
E.g. for h_vmem, my default is 2G, to fill 8GB/4-slot nodes, whilst we
have also 32GB/8 slot and 48GB/12 slot.

HTH and I haven't caused more confusion.  You can probably find the
right advice if you search the Gmane or Markmail archive for "reuti
virtual_free consumable".