[SGE-discuss] mail archive

Jesse Becker beckerjes at mail.nih.gov
Wed Jan 5 18:37:32 GMT 2011

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 01:26:50PM -0500, Dave Love wrote:
>Jesse Becker <beckerjes at mail.nih.gov> writes:
>
>> I extracted this from Gmane, as they provide a decent interface for
>> doing this.  It's a full dump too--headers and all.
>
>Right.  I have the whole thing, though the first ~1000 article numbers
>are missing (out of ~22k?).  I was going to ask larsi for the nicest way
>to get a complete dump, but a test seemed quick enough not to be
>antisocial.

Sounds like you got more than I did. :)  I also noticed that I had to
skip the first few (~100 or so?) messages, but the rest came quickly.

>> You can have my copy (bz2 file is ~9MB).  It's in two mbox files.
>> Alternately, it's pretty simple to extract it again from Gmane (although
>> you will probably have to do it in at least 2 passes due to process
>> time-limits on the server).
>
>Looking again at what I have, it isn't complete.  I'll check what
>happened and maybe take you up on that, thanks.  I then need to figure
>out namazu indexing or similar.

I had to make 2 passes at it, since the server-side script has a 30
second time limit on it.  You may need to batch it up into chunks of,
say, 1000 emails to stay under the time limit.

Regarding the -dev list...if there is to be further development, that
list is far more important than it was last year.  There's *very* little
coding information on the -users list, and *anything* to help with the
actual SGE code is useful.

--
Jesse Becker
NHGRI Linux support (Digicon Contractor)