[SGE-discuss] Trouble installing SGE 8 on Centos 7

Maximilian Friedersdorff maf54 at aber.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 15:30:00 GMT 2017

Hi,

I am having some issues installing and running SGE on Centos 7.  I
appreciate that that is not officially supported, but it is what I
have to
work with.

I can build SGE from source just fine, either by rebuilding the
source rpm
or the distribution tarball. Installing these to /opt/sge also
works without
issue.  However running one of the install scripts (inst_sge,
start_gui_installer)
invariable fails when it attempts to launch qmaster:

>   Starting Grid Engine qmaster
> sge_qmaster start problem
> sge_qmaster didn't start!
> sge_qmaster start problem

On further investigation it seems that the qmaster process is
indeed running,
but communication with it is not possible.  Indeed, running qstat
yields:

> error: commlib error: got select error (Broken pipe)
> error: unable to contact qmaster using port 6444 on host
> "radium"

According to `ps aux | grep qmaster`, the process
/opt/sge/bin/lx-amd64/sge_qmaster
is running however.

This issue occurs on 8.1.9 as well as on 8.1.8.  I tried
installing 8.1.9 on
centos 6 and it works as expected there.

I should mention that all of this is happening inside a qemu VM on
a Slackware host.
For completeness it is launched as follows:

qemu-system-x86_64 -drive file=sda_sge.cow,format=qcow2 -m 1G
-enable-kvm -smp 2

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Max

Un o’r 4 prifysgol uchaf yn y DU a’r orau yng Nghymru am fodlonrwydd myfyrwyr.
(Arolwg Cenedlaethol y Myfyrwyr 2016)
www.aber.ac.uk

Top 4 UK university and best in Wales for student satisfaction
(National Student Survey 2016)
www.aber.ac.uk